Thursday, April 16, 2009

Baby Weighing

4.8 kg - What a sweet little bundle!

5.9 kg - That is 5.9 kg of pure smiles!

6.2 kg - Nothing that can’t be comforted with a little rocking!

7.9 kg - Growing fast and rapidly!

Weighing babies. He wasn't staying still and required 1 to occupy and 1 to weigh - hence the funny faces

I went out for my first time with Tenwek Community Health, along with 2 other women, the mother and sister of one of the doctors at Tenwek, to help out with a clinic they set up where Mothers with babies come to have their child weighed and immunized, and Expectant Mothers come for a check up.

I was completely in my element enjoying every smile, cuddle and cry.

Community center where we had our clinic.
Immunizations left door, Prenatal right door.

Each baby would be placed in a sack resembling a diaper attached to a rope and then hung on the scale which reminded me of one you would find at a grocery store. Their weight would be determined and recorded and then Mother and baby would proceed to the room for immunizations.

Baby weight scale.

I was so blessed to be able to hold each precious little bundle.

It was evident the love so many of the mothers have for their children. They burst with pride when you admire their child. The first mother we met there had a beautiful little girl who was 4 months old and was her first child and it was obvious she adored her. It is really awesome to see babies who are being well taken care of and loved amid so many who are orphaned and neglected.

The mothers all walk with their babies bundled up and tied to their back.

Enjoying each new adventure!

Em

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Em! This is exactly what I imagined you'd be doing. How wonderful. Wish I could be there too. We'd have soooo much fun.
I love reading your blog and think often of you all. When does your dad work his 'night shift'?
Praying for you all,
Hugs
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds like fun! It sounds like you are really being a blessing, and being blessed.
Hope you enjoy all those cute little African kids!

Kris

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Megan said...

hey Em!
wow! I was just reading through your blog, and I am so excited for you! What your doing sounds amazing! I am so glad you're settling in, and that your enjoying the children!
Were praying for you!
Love your "I-Team" sister,
Megan :)