Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Prayer

Prayer is such an important part of this trip, and of everyday life. It is the essential ingredient and our greatest support. I want to thank all of you who are lifting us up in prayer. If you let us know you are praying, we will thank you personally. It is such a blessing to know there are people praying for you and supporting you.

I am not extremely educated about prayer; I am just a 17 year old who closes her eyes to pray when she sees a mother in agony over her dying child, because it is all she knows to do. But I am a 17 year old who prays because she know it works, has seen it work, and knows God listens. The best thing about prayer is that you don’t have to be “educated” to pray. You can just fall on your knees before God at any time or place and pour out your heart.

There are so many things to pray for here it sometimes feels overwhelming...how can I possibly pray for it all? But you see a child on crutches who looks up at you as you walk by and you pray for her. You comfort a crying baby in the NICU and you pray for him. Neighbours are suffering watching their dying son and you pray for them. The rains come and you know you are one of the few places blessed to have rain in this country so you pray for those in drought. As you bump along the rural roads of Kenya, fly out of your seat and hit your head, you pray for safety. As God brings things to mind, and situations present themselves you just stop and pray.

Part of the procedure here at Tenwek is to stop and pray. In surgery, before the surgeons operate, everyone stops to pray, when I was observing surgery, it was really neat to see everyone simply freeze mid motion and bring the patient and upcoming surgery before God. There are many chaplains around the hospital whose job is to comfort and pray for patients. Taking time to stop and pray is a part of nearly every task.
Stopping to pray before surgery.
There are so many things to pray for...health, healing, comfort, safety, wisdom, discernment... You can’t cover them all, but God commands us to pray, and so we do - one at request at a time. And God works, answers, helps, heals, comforts, and sometimes unveils his own plan, contrary to our own wishes, but perfectly in line with his will.

Thank you for joining with us in prayer.

Petitioning in prayer,

Em


2 comments:

Albert J. said...

That report is a powerful encouragement to pray. I thank God for your example.
Last weekend was Northview's Global Focus Weekend I was thinking of what a unique outreach your family is involved in.

Unknown said...

You are so right Em!
There is so much that needs prayer.
Back home 3 boys from Mouat just died. 2 were kidnapped and murdered, and one other committed suicide. All since last Thursday.
There is so much to pray for, the families, the school...
But amid all this, I am still praying for you daily =D
-I am going to Soar Montreal!-
Kris