Friday, June 19, 2009

Debiefing

Now out of Africa, we are spending some time in England for a bit of a holiday and a chance to relax, adjust and debrief after our adventures in Africa.

We have being having many fun adventures in London and had a wonderful chance to relax on the Dorset coast. I will hopefully be able to elaborate on our England adventures in another post as I process pictures.

~~~~~
As we have been debriefing our trip, many stories have surfaced, memories discussed, emotions processed, and the process still continues...

How is a person supposed to process the death that you have been exposed to for the past few months, the poverty that has surrounded you for so long, the living conditions you adjusted to, the many people you met and became friends with, the landscape and scenery of "home" which you learned to love and the lifestyle so different to back home that you lived in for a few months...? Simply processing it all takes a lot of time, and realizing all these adventures have been happening to you, and attempting to translate that into how you are going to live your life when returning home seems overwhelming!

Fortunately we still have some time in England to continue journaling, sorting out pictures and stories, and preparing to return home.
~~~~~

There are still a few posts to come on Africa, and in addition to following our family adventures as we return home, I hope to do a series of "Memories from Africa" posts for awhile as pictures are processed and memories come to mind. Thank you for continuing to follow our journey.

Loving London,

Em

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can imagine the amount of mental processing you need to do after an extensive trip! There is so much to think about, and there is culture shock as you come back again! Talking about Soar, we briefly mention the shock of going there, and then the shock of coming back to a culture much different than where you spent the last while.
Montreal for two weeks is much different from Kenya for 4 months, but I'm sure some of what we learn can be applied to your situation.
Did you get a Goer Guide?
I could ask Shawn for an extra for you, dealing with re-culture shock and stuff...